The Health Economics, Policy and Management (HEPM) concentration examines the supply of and demand for health and healthcare, the economic analysis of healthcare systems and healthcare reforms, and the core competencies of healthcare managers in the public and private sector.
Students will explore the challenges faced by all healthcare systems and organisations in the following areas:
- health economics
- healthcare financing
- healthcare policy
- public health and organisational leadership
- management of healthcare organisations
On completion of the programme students will be able to
- Use epidemiological and/or other approaches to describe the health status or health care needs
- Demonstrate an understanding of the unique environment of health care, and apply principles of organisational behaviour, strategic management, healthcare financing to the delivery of personal health services.
- Demonstrate insight, and problem-solving skills in the management of technology, finance, and human resources
- Demonstrate knowledge about the history, structure and interaction of public health and health care services at local, regional, national and international levels
- Synthesise evidence and research for health economic, healthcare policy or health service delivery problem solving
- Assess the effectiveness and efficiency (resource requirements) of health services or other activities aimed at improving health.
- Apply socio economic principles and principal economic concepts to the cost effectiveness analysis of public health, healthcare, and treatment interventions
- Analyse the ethical, cultural, psychological, socio-economic and legal impact of personal and policy level professional decision on individuals, populations and society
All candidates must enrol in:
- Core Courses
- Concentration Courses and Elective Courses
|CMED6100||Introduction to biostatistics||3|
|CMED6200||Introduction to epidemiology||3|
|CMED6201||Principles of public health||3|
|CMED6704||Health behaviour and communication||3|
|CMED6901||Health leadership and management||3|
|CMED6900||Health policy and politics||3|
Concentration Courses for Health Economics, Policy and Management (HEPM)
Select the following HEPM concentration courses and 6 credits from elective course list.
|CMED6109||Accounting and financial management in health care||3|
|CMED6907||Perspectives in health care management||3|
|CMED6903||Resources for health||3|
|CMED6910||Strategies in health care||3|